All about Growing on Instagram from Scratch
In this section, we tell you how to run your Instagram promotion.
We open up over all the steps, vital strategies and best free, and paid tools known to man.
What questions are covered?
- How to find a target audience on Instagram?
- How to get the first followers from personal contacts and other social media?
- Can you get more followers from website traffic?
- How to make use of Instagram algorithms and interact with TA effectively?
- How to use hashtags to increase impressions and reach?
- Should you run giveaways, and how often?
- Explaining Instagram Shoutouts: Should You Try It?
- Instagram Advertising: Ads and Influencers
- How to steal followers from competitors?
- Analytics: Why is it vital, and how to conduct it?
What tools are described?
These are the basic support tools that help you promote your account more efficiently and cost-effectively.
Automated likes and Stories views for the target audience.
Easy search for relevant hashtags by photo, URL, and keywords.
Widgets for Websites
Engagement links on your website that drive traffic to your Social Media accounts.
The free selection of top Instagram hashtags.
Facilitated search for Target audience by hashtags and locations.
Instant analysis of any hashtag for efficiency: difficulty, time in feed, avg likes.
Instagram Search for Influencers
Fast search for Creators by names, phone numbers, emails, bios, etc.
Instagram Profile Analyzer
Precise analysis of any Instagram account: engagement, publication time, etc.
How to Find a Target Audience on Instagram?
Whatever goal you pursue, the knowledge of your target audience is of prime importance.
You will never market your Instagram business well if you do not reach the right people.
How to find your TA on Instagram among billion of active users then?
1. Know your Buyer Persona
Even if you just started your business and account, you should have created a profile of the ideal customer you want to sell your product/service to.
If you do not have one for some reason, then answer the following question — Who is buying your product?
Women aged 18 to 30? That is a good starting point.
2. Start listening and find profiles of your potential clients
Or rather reading and analyzing.
- What is your industry talking about?
- What topics excite the target audience?
- Who are they listening to?
You can do that:
- By searching by relevant hashtags (your niche leaders will be in the Top Posts) and studying their audiences;
- By constantly analyzing your Discover page on Instagram. There will be recommendations from most interesting users in your sphere;
- By using special services for social media listening like Sprout Social.
For offline businesses, it’s vital to search competitors and clients by location.
3. Gradually start adding details to your profile
At the same time, it is important to image the whole lifestyle of the representative of your TA: his/her fears, desires, dreams. Do not limit yourself only to the part associated with your brand: “I sell clothes for children, she has children – match!”. Do you want to stand out from hundreds of identical offers?
If yes, try to learn your audience as well as possible. Thus, you will know what they need and how to offer them your service/product.
Here’s what the result might look like:
“A man from 18 to 30 years old, with a high salary. Discusses sport and business. He sticks to a healthy lifestyle and eats only organic food. He does not like household chores, queues in clinics, sleepless nights.”
What do you think? Can such information help you make up the best offer?
4. Conduct polls on Stories
It is an additional way to find out more about your TA and about what content it prefers to see in their feed.
Here are a couple of examples:
5. Remember: determining the target audience is an endless process
You can’t say, “I have already done this.” Your project is developing. Your audience is developing. You need to get feedback and draw new conclusions constantly.
Now, knowing what your TA is, you can act — publish content, interact with users, offer your service/goods — according to their needs and expectations. That will make you useful and, therefore, popular. Gradually, of course.
Why is it vital to know your TA?
- To create interesting and useful content, you need to clearly understand what exactly your followers want to see in their feeds;
- In order to come up with effective captions for your posts, you need to understand what manner of communication is most suitable for your TA;
- To sell more;
- Finally, in order to publish your posts and Stories at the right time and achieve maximum reach, it is important to know what time of the day your audience and potential customers prefer to surf the Net;
- The more you know about your TA, the more sophisticated your promo strategy will become.
How to find competitors and attract their TA?
We describe the process of attracting competitors’ audiences in question #9. Check it out!
How to search for TA by hashtags?
It is necessary to decide which tags are thematic and close to your field of activity.
You can find the whole scope of them by using the Hashtag Generator.
- Enter the keyword(s) into the input line and tap Generate;
- Copy the ones that your TA is supposed to use;
- Look for posts and, accordingly, users who post with these tags.
I know my TA, what’s next?
Now, you need to adapt your Instagram presence to your TA:
- Put the right hashtags so that your TA can easily find you;
- Like, follow and comment on TA’s content;
- Publish on the most suitable time for your TA.
The whole topic will be disclosed below.
Read more about finding Target Audience
Instagram Insights for defining Target Audience on Instagram
How to connect with Target Audience on Instagram?
How to search for TA in public thematic accounts?
What is the affinity index?
Targeted advertising on Instagram
TA search by location: who needs it and how to perform?
Bigbangram Experts Opinion
How to Get First Followers from Personal Contacts and Other Social Media?
[Free Instagram Promotion]
If you only started your account, your first question must be, “Where do I find my first followers?”
We gathered 3 methods of how to promote on Instagram.
1. Your Contacts list
When you create an account, go to settings (the “hamburger” icon in the upper right), then the “Settings” gear at the very bottom.
Find Follow and Invite Friends. There, you can either follow all or some contacts or invite friends by email, SMS, or through other means available on your device.
To follow your Contacts, you need to connect your Instagram to the phone’s contact list if you hadn’t done it during the registration.
You need to click on Follow near every suggested contact. There, you will find both users from your phone contacts and Instagram users that follow you or people you follow.
2. Facebook friends
There, you also can follow friends from Facebook. For that, you also need to connect your Facebook page if you haven’t done it yet.
Once you connect your FB account, all your friends will be listed in your Discover People section.
P.S. Facebook owns Instagram, so don’t be surprised that it’s your FB account that is suggested to connect.
3. Followers from Twitter, YouTube, Twitch, TikTok, etc.
Leave a link to your Instagram profile wherever there is contact with the audience.
In most of the social media, there is a Bio section where you can add the link to your Instagram. Don’t forget about catching Call to Action.
Example of one of the YouTube bloggers:
Note: the key role in this technique is played by the audience from your contacts and social networks. If you know that among acquaintances, there are not many of your Target Audience, it is better to follow selectively.
But Jungle Telegraph still works. So why not attract as many contacts as possible? Ask friends to recommend your profile to their friends.
We estimated that personal contacts and followers could bring you up to 1.000 followers in a couple of weeks of such networking.
How following other users helps get new followers?
There, the law of return works. Once a user sees a familiar person/friend follows him, he will follow this user back.
Mutual following is almost 100% when it comes to acquaintances.
How to ask friends to share my profile with their friends?
Send them a DM. Ask friends to notify their friends that you offer something very special — 5%-discount for followers for your new collection.
Or you can offer a gift for recommending your profile to 10 users, for example.
How to motivate users to share my profile?
There are a couple of methods:
- Run a contest/giveaway. See question #6;
- Drive a Wow-effect. Come up with some cool features, unexpected pleasantness for your followers so that people themselves want to talk about it. For example, you can add a gift to each order or add a greeting card to your parcel with handwritten wishes;
- UGC. For example, a client sent you a photo — he likes the bag he received and thanked you for the delivery. You post this photo (ask for permission in advance), tag the user. What does the user do? He likes your attention, reposts, or duplicates a photo, tagging your profile.
Read more about getting first followers on Instagram
How to Get More Followers from Website Traffic?
If you have a more or less successful website, you can easily direct your website traffic to
your social media accounts. As well as do the opposite — drive traffic to your website.
How to promote your Instagram effectively?
1. Can the website drive traffic to Instagram?
Your website is the storehouse of loyal followers. Even users that do not buy right at the time prefer to follow this or that brand on Instagram to stay tuned with:
- brand updates;
- sales notifications;
- some insider information.
That’s why even users, who do not want to shell out today, are eager to follow you. But how to direct website visitors to your Instagram account?
You have probably noticed those engagement links like “Follow us on Instagram” on almost every respectable website. They look like this:
Usually, these are pretty simple social media buttons that are located at the very bottom of the landing pages. However, such an option is good only for large brands like Coursera, Hollister, H&M, and others.
If your brand is not so huge yet, these buttons should be eye-catching.
2. How to add attractive Social Media buttons to the website?
Widgets BigBangram is the most rational choice for small brands. They offer one free and stylish widget for young websites (up to 1K impressions).
1. You need to sign up your account and create your campaign;
2. Configure all the settings — titles, URLs, pictures, texts, fix the position.
3. Copy the code lines and paste them to your developer console;
It takes a couple of minutes to do. You don’t have to be a tech-savvy person or hire a specialist. Every business owner can do it by himself.
Thanks to high customization possibilities, each user can create a widget that will match the brand concept and style.
3. How does Social Media widget promote your Instagram?
1. The first and prime one is the constant flow of new followers to your Instagram and other media accounts;
2. This traffic is the target one. People who come to your Instagram from the website are already interested in what you offer;
3. An increased conversion rate of your website;
4. Due to increased interaction on pages, your website will be ranked higher in Google search. That will bring more traffic to your website and, consequently, more traffic to the Instagram profile.
Of course, that is not an instant process and not so obvious in terms of performance. However, not using this means to grow the audience would be a huge mistake.
How to design my own widget and where to put it?
Customize your widget to your website style. Stick to the same colors, border sizes. If your website has a dark, intriguing atmosphere, adding pink buttons will be a little ridiculous.
The best choice of position of such a widget will be the floating sidebar or popup on the blog page.
Can I install the Social Media Widget for free?
Yes, if you use Widgets BigBangram service, you can run a free campaign for up to 1000 impressions. It will be far enough for small brands/websites.
How effective is this method?
Driving traffic from your website is an effective additional means of getting more followers on Instagram. However, you should not rely exclusively on it. There are many more ways to attract the target audience.
Why do you recommend Widgets BigBangram?
- This product is simple to use;
- Each widget is easily customizable;
- The service offers 23 more widgets for different purposes;
- It is free for 1 000 impressions;
- It doesn’t require your Credit Card info.
Read more about getting more followers from the website
All About Widgets: Guide on Bigbangram Widget Pack
Bigbangram Experts Opinion
These widgets are easy-to-install, and the price policy is extremely beneficial for small and medium businesses.
How to Make Use of Instagram Algorithms and Interact with TA Effectively?
What are the algorithms, and why they matter? What have they got to do with your behavior
and activity? We explain how you should act to get promoted to top publications and Explore
page of more users.
1. What are Instagram algorithms, and why you need to be aware of them?
Instagram builds each user’s feed according to some of the core aspects:
These algorithms are constantly changing as Instagram is based on machine learning. So today, when you woke up, the algorithm had already changed.
Therefore, your actions predetermine how actively Instagram shows your post to Instagram users.
In what cases you get it when:
- You communicate with users in Direct actively;
- The engagement rate is high enough — you get likes, your posts are commented on, you get shares and followers. Provided that you do the same;
- You open Instagram often and spend more time in it;
- You post regularly.
2. What to put emphasis on?
- Put emphasis on your activity.
As these your actions that raise actions. When you actively like, follow, view Stories, comment on posts of your TA, it raises users’ interest.
They are more likely to interact with you and your content when you have already done the first step.
Such mutual interaction will increase the average engagement rate of your profile. Your posts will be shown to a greater number of users. They will get to the top of the search by hashtags and appear more often on the Explore page.
- Be consistent in publishing.
The frequency of posting is important for Instagram users. You need to catch the eye of followers to stay in their feeds. Some marketers and bloggers recommend posting at least one post per day.
- Communicate with the audience.
Yes, those very questions, “How will you spend your summer vacations?” work on Instagram. Ask your audience open-ended questions. And if you run a brand account, try to engage followers in the conversation – not only about your product but also on abstract topics.
- Actively communicate in Direct with the maximum amount of users.
Not only with close friends: respond to Stories, say that the last post was cool — don’t be afraid of socializing. Instagram will consider that you a close to many people and will promote your account.
- Interact with similar content.
Browse accounts that are similar to yours, reply to friends in the Direct and in comments, participate in discussions relevant to the topic of your profile.
One question left: how to make that interaction really efficient?
3. How to automate the interaction with users?
If you want to scale your account, you need to double everything — your likes and comments, Stories views, your DMs, your posts, and so on.
To accomplish those actions in bulk, use services that automate the processes.
Ingramer allows users to like posts, comments, and view Stories of Target Audience, increasing the activity and engagement on a page.
For that, you need to create an Ingramer account and subscribe to the IG Promo module (it’s paid.)
1. In the Promo section, find the Targeting section. Thanks to these settings, the service will find your TA automatically and interact only with it. You can configure the targeting by hashtags, locations, and usernames.
2. Add hashtags that your TA would use:
3. Point out the locations your TA publishes from. Usually, offline businesses need it:
4. Point out users whose audience you would like to get in touch with:
5. Use advanced filters if you want to narrow down the search:
6. And make sure you turned on the Watch Stories and Likes functions. They are basic.
As for follow/unfollow, it is not recommended to use it actively due to the possibility of Instagram action blocks.
4. What will be the result?
Do not wait for the magic. In most cases, you won’t notice a flow of new followers in the first minutes. There, several factors must meet: your activity + users’ mood to react + your content appeal.
However, this is a useful service that saves time for account owners.
Is the engagement what we should take care of first?
Yes, it is one of the main indexes of the popularity of an account. You should pay special attention to engaging users.
Can I do without Instagram bot?
Sure, you can do everything manually — find TA, watch their Stories, and like their posts. But it will take a lot of time and effort.
By simple automation of these actions, you can simplify your life.
Can I automate the communication with users and posting somehow?
Even if you think that’s impossible, you still can streamline these processes.
There are services for sending bulk messages and services for scheduled posting.
Read more about interaction with Instagram users
Bigbangram Experts Opinion
For users who plan to grow their accounts faster, it is recommended to use automation services, which ease the process of promotion.
How to Use Hashtags to Increase Impressions and Reach?
Hashtags are the main driving force of Instagram promotions. If chosen and used right.
One of the best things you can do for the sake of your Instagram growth is using hashtags in the right way.
But people often think that it will be enough to put a couple of hashtags that describe a post in a more or less suitable way. That’s wrong.
1. What should you know about hashtags?
Hashtags are tags with # sign in front of them. They are created for the fast information search.
There are different classifications of hashtags and, therefore, different types of hashtags. Not all of them are worth using.
Business hashtags — the ones you use to describe your product/service/industry/niche. These are #fitnesstraining, #makeupartist, #mensshowroom, etc.
Business hashtags with locations like #lagrocery, #bakerybarcelona are also can be related.
‘Begging’ hashtag is another tag type. These are the hashtags you shouldn’t use if you want your reputation to stay. For example, #likeforlike, #followforlike, #lfl, #fff, #follow4follow, etc.
Branded hashtags are the unique hashtags created by you and describing your company or a campaign, like #athomewithhm, #loveGUESS, and so on.
Banned hashtags are the once you should forget about and never use. These are the hashtags like #alone, #elevator, #dating, #DM, #TodayImWearing. You can find the whole list here: Instagram Hides Your Posts! The List Of Banned Instagram Hashtags.
There are also days-of-the-week hashtags like #mondaymotivation, #fridayquotes, etc. They are not the most useful ones but still work for bloggers and influencers.
Vital! Hashtags differ by popularity. They can be popular (used more often), less popular (used less), and rare (niche tags used rarely). You can see the number of posts with a tag while choosing them. This knowledge and skill in combining different types will be useful.
2. What strategies for boosted impressions and reach exist?
2.1. A proper combination of hashtags of different types and of different popularity.
You have 30 vacant places for different hashtags. Use 2-5 popular business hashtags, 5-10 business hashtags of average frequency, and 10-15 niche hashtags with location and without including 1-3 branded hashtags.
This way, you will attract a wide and at the same time target audience. Don’t forget that all the hashtags should be relevant.
Popular Brazilian brand example:
Aspiring fitness motivator example:
2.2. Replacing hashtags.
There should be an explanation before we come to the strategy. As it was explained before, hashtags differ by popularity — some of them are used very often, some of them rarely. Therefore, in the hashtag search result, posts with popular hashtags will come and go quickly. Users tend not to scroll down much, as a rule, they browse the first 9-11 posts.
Thus, popular hashtags will make your post visible for a short period, usually for a couple of minutes. For example, people publish posts with #love every 2 seconds. These are 33 posts per hour, around 780 000 posts per day. Will it be easy for users to find your post? No.
As the popularity of the hashtag decreases, its difficulty lowers, and post visibility increases.
You can make use of this fact by posting 3 different sets of hashtags. You need to edit them according to the scheme:
1st one — set of popular hashtags → in 15 minutes replace it for the set of hashtags of average popularity → in 1-4 hours replace the 2nd set for the set of rare hashtags.
Thus, the time of your post visibility will increase 3 times — that’s 3X reach and impressions.
To automate the process of replacing hashtags, use Scheduled Posting with the Autoupdate function.
2.3. Including hashtags in different languages.
If you want to make your audience wider, don’t hesitate to add hashtags in different languages. If you use Spanish, add a couple of English hashtags and so on.
Important! Always track the statistics of your posts. By tapping View Insights, you can estimate how many impressions you get from hashtags.
3. Hashtag Generator for fast hashtag search
Hashtag generator is your must-have tool. It enables the fast and precise search for suitable hashtags by images, keywords, and post links.
The tool groups the hashtags by their popularity so that you can easily stick to the most advantageous strategy.
Moreover, the tool delivers the analysis of each hashtag on its difficulty, popularity and shows the top and recent posts with the hashtag so that you can estimate the competition in advance.
How many hashtags can I use?
You can add up to 30 hashtags to every post.
Can I be banned for using too many hashtags?
No. You can’t add more than 30 hashtags. And if you use all 30, it’s Ok, that’s not forbidden.
Can I use a hashtag generator for free?
You can use Hashtag Generator for free 3 times, but the part of the search results will be disguised.
It’s recommended to pay out the subscription for convenient work.
How to automate the hashtag updating?
Use Scheduled Posting. Create a post with the first hashtags set and turn on the Autoupdate Description mode. Write down another 2 variants, fix the time, and click Schedule.
Read more about Instagram hashtags
Bigbangram Experts Opinion
You can’t choose the best hashtags fast without a hashtag generator. It saves time and makes the hashtag strategy more effective.
Scheduler enables automated posting, including automated replacing of hashtags
How to Run Giveaways, and How Often?
Giveaways and contests are cool ways to get in touch with existing followers, attract a new
wide audience, say thank-you for engaging. We explain how they work and how to organize
1. Pros and cons of this method of promotion
- This is a good opportunity to ‘recruit’ followers, especially if you offer a good prize and prepare a quality post.
- Recognition and brand awareness are increasing. When people in their feeds constantly stumble upon your photo or mention you, very soon, they will start to recognize you.
- Such advertising is cost-effective. Users usually do not offer something extremely expensive but get hundred of fans and customers as a result.
- Possible decline in sales. This applies to the service sector or to specific products like photoshoots, dental treatment, and similar. Users won’t buy something that they can win, especially if it’s not a vital purchase.
- Freeloaders. Many people realize that contests on Instagram are a good way to save money, and that’s why they participate in every contest they can find. In most cases, such people do not buy anything either before or after the competition. These are the least loyal followers.
- The high price of one follower in case of unsuccessful organization or too expensive prize. Any competition has its own cost. If the prize is a service, then this is the price of your time and materials. If the prize is a product, then this is its cost plus shipping costs (if you give it too). Plus the possible costs of advertising your contest. Thus, if you give a new iPhone, and during the competition, only 3 people start to follow you, then each of them costs you about $300. This is a lot, and it means you did something wrong.
2. Types of giveaways
All Instagram contests can be divided into 3 types:
- Repost. Participants post a contest photo and mention you and the necessary #tag.
- Creative contest. Participants post their own photo taken according to the rules of the contest.
- Likes pickup. Participants post your or your own photo and try to collect the maximum number of likes for it.
3. How to run a giveaway? Basic rules
3.1. You need a great photo/post.
It’s good if the contest photo shows the prize that the winner will receive. It is always convenient to understand and see what you are fighting for.
If you can’t take a picture of the prize (for example, you give a certificate, a consultation or a photo session), then you can use just a beautiful photo that fits the point.
The quality of the photo is of utmost importance. The photo should make people want your prize and participate in the contest/giveaway. It is unlikely that a blurry photo with poor light will push people to participate
3.2. It’s also not worth saving on a prize.
Do not offer unnecessary stuff or something else that you (and everybody else) don’t need. For the contest to become popular and willingly reposted, the prize should be amazing, but not too pricey.
3.3. To attract attention, write the main information on the photo:
- The words “contest”, “raffle” or “giveaway”;
- Contest tag;
- Your account with @.
In order not to overload the photo, do not try to fit everything on it. Depending on the composition of the photo and how many details are already present on it, add only the main info.
3.4. The end date of the competition should be indicated directly on the photo.
Our experience has proven that. Otherwise, your photo will continue to be reposted after the end of the contest, and you will have to respond every time that the competition is already closed.
3.5. In addition, you must clearly describe the rules of the contest.
This will save you from problems and disputes in the future. People do not always read the rules (especially freeloaders), but in case of disputes, you will have something to hide behind. Rules are a kind of signed user agreement.
Standard rules are as follows:
- “Follow the account”;
- “Repost a giveaway post”;
- “Mention the owner (with @) and the relevant tag”;
- The participants’ profiles must be open so that the contest photo can be seen;
- Dates of the competition;
- Winner selection method: Jury, distributing numbers to participants and using a random number generator, lottery, choosing a random photo by competitive tag, using special services;
- Be sure to come up with your own unique tag for the contest — for example, #MagicLawStory, #MoonHotelGiveaway, etc. Your tag will allow you to easily see all the participants, find out their number, and choose a winner. You can make sure that the tag is still not occupied by anyone using the search.
3.6. When the photo is prepared, the tag is thought up, and the rules are formulated, you can start the contest.
Be prepared for the fact that if you still have a young account and few followers, the number of new followers can be small. In this case, it can be solved by advertising in more popular or star accounts.
3.7. Record the video of choosing the winner to prove your objectivity.
But do not post it immediately. Now you need to check whether the winner has fulfilled all the conditions of yours (he became your follower, is not a freeloader, he added a link to you, and so on). If the rules are satisfied, post the video. If not — re-shoot and choose another winner.
3.8. Contact the winner in Direct or ask a winner to contact you.
Describe how a person can get his/her prize or how the shipping will happen. Be friendly and polite.
Take your time, think through all the details, make this experience happy not only for your IGers but for you yourself as well!
4. How often to hold?
Unfortunately, many aspiring bloggers rely on giveaways too much and abuse this method. They run giveaways every week in the hope of building the base of loyal followers. It doesn’t work like that.
Marketers advise to run giveaway once a month or two, or even rarely. The reasons:
- You attract too many freebie-hunters, which present no value to your community. They will unfollow you once the giveaway ends;
- It is not reasonable money expenditure to run such giveaways if the Follow rate is not high enough;
- Nobody will buy your product if you offer it for free too often.
That’s why run contests and giveaways in moderation. They are capable of increasing sales and brand awareness if not run more often than once a month.
Are there any legal aspects of contests we need to know?
Yes, it’s recommended to mention Instagram’s lack of endorsement by adding, “This contest/giveaway is not endorsed by Instagram.”
If the giveaway/contest is sponsored, mention that with a proper hashtag.
What prize to choose?
Choose something that your TA would like to receive.
It should be something useful but not too pricey. For brands, it’s a good idea to offer some of their services or products.
How to estimate the efficiency of this method of promotion?
You can’t calculate such metrics as increased brand awareness. However, you can count:
- Number of participants;
- Number of new followers gained;
- The reach of the post with the announcement of the giveaway;
- Number of shares, likes, and comments;
Read more about Instagram giveaways
What is loopgiveaway, and why is it a must-run?
Bigbangram Experts Opinion
Use winner generators for Instagram to make the process of choosing simple. Don’t forget to record the process.
Explaining Instagram Shoutouts: Should You Try It?
Shoutouts (SFS) is one of the promotion methods of Instagram. In brief, one user advertises
another user on his own profile. We explain what types of shoutouts exist, how to participate,
and run one.
1. How to participate for free?
Find a person ready for a mutual shoutout or accounts specializing in the promotion of Instagram accounts through special hashtags like #shoutout, #sfs, #shoutoutforshoutout, etc.
In the first case, the account at a certain time posts an advertising post/story on its profile and marks the partner. The partner in response writes about this person at his profile.
In the second case, a specialized account will ‘ask’ you to fulfill a number of conditions before the team-up: like all photos, follow a user, and so on. The conditions may vary, but the result is one — all this will lead to the fact that your photo, marked with a tag link to your account, will appear in their feed and become visible to a large number of followers.
2. How to participate for a price?
Similarly, you can use the paid Shoutout service. To do this, you will need to agree with the owner of some popular account (with at least 5000 followers) about the repost of your photos.
If you are looking for buyers in San Francisco, then choose an account with a large database of English-speaking users. This gives a much greater effect since, as a rule, the audience of such “entrepreneurs” is much wider, but the costs will be higher.
Usually, users add #ad to such posts.
You should not chase accounts of ‘millionaires’ — you will lose money, and negotiations will be more difficult. Pages with a user base of 3000-5000 people will be enough. Plus, the audiences of such users are more responsive and engaged.
The price will be around $5-15. You can expect from 5 to 25% followers flow from such a method.
Important! You can offer not only your money but your product/service for free.
3. General recommendations for Instagram Shoutout
- Check your partner for cheating. Otherwise, you risk being left without new live followers. It’s not worth cooperating with partners, even if they have thousands of followers who are bots. Check the comments for adequacy before drawing conclusions.
- Accounts from one sphere will work better — the stylist and the hairdresser have the same TA. The same for athletes and a sports nutrition store.
- When placing advertising posts, take care to notify the SFS partner of the desired publication time for you.
4. How to run SFS by yourself?
Rules of SFS are quite standard and do not vary much:
- You publish a photo with one of the following hashtags: #SFS, #shoutouts, #instashoutout, #shoutoutforyou, #shoutoutsforfree, #shoutoutforshoutout;
- In the caption, you notify about the start of the SFS, the time-frame, and the date of the results announcement;
- Participants should post on their profile any photo from your Instagram (or make a collage), write a few words about you, and be sure to put a link with @;
- Having done this, the participants should write the word “done” in the comments under your SFS photo.
- On the day when the SPS is completed, you look at the profiles of participants, select from them those who you liked the most, and talk about them on your profile, mentioning the user via @.
5. Pros and cons of Shoutouts
1. Being a participant and organizer of an Instagram SFS is equally beneficial for both parties — they can receive PR absolutely free in most cases.
2. In addition to getting followers, this can be a great way to find new interesting profiles.
1. Everyone is tired of shoutouts as this method of promotion has been popular for quite a while now. Therefore, people are not only not so willing to participate in them, but also often unfollow those who hold such events or participate in them.
2. When deciding to conduct an SFS, keep in mind that you have to choose and tell your audience about a person/people.
Imagine, a person supported you, took part in your SFS, told you about himself. And then you go to his profile and realize that it’s completely uninteresting with unattractive photos. Even if you want to talk about him out of gratitude, it is completely unclear what can be told about him.
Imagine how insulting it would be for those who did not fall into your feed, went unnoticed, turned out to be unworthy. Those rejected will be offended.
How to contact users for a shoutout-for-my product?
It’s more about barter collaborations. You can find this information from question #8
Are paid shoutouts related to Influencer Marketing?
In general, yes, it can be classified as a type of Influencer Marketing.
Are there any services for the fast purchase of shoutout from influencers?
Yes, you can find a lot of such ‘banks’. For example, Buy Shoutouts from Social Media Influencers – Shoutcart – 600M+ Active Followers & Subscribers!
Read more about Instagram shoutouts
20 Best Instagram Shoutout Accounts
Instagram Challenges as a form of shoutout
Bigbangram Experts Opinion
For those who do not want to waste time searching for shoutouts or running them, there is an option to use service for buying shoutout on Instagram.
Instagram Advertising: Ads and Influencers as Ways to Promote Instagram
The most effective cost-based ways of promotion on Instagram are Instagram Ads
and Influencers. We plunge deeper into Instagram advertising: types, pros and cons,
how to set up and negotiate to get the maximum result.
There are 2 main types of advertising on Instagram — targeting and influencers/bloggers.
1. Targeted advertising
Targeted post promotion can be launched from your Instagram or from Ads Manager (Facebook). You can spend on it from $5 to $whatever-you-want. Even $50 000 is Ok.
1.1. Post Ads on Instagram:
Instagram targeting can be used for all business accounts. Make sure that you have one or transfer your account from personal to business in the settings.
Promotion of posts is easier for beginners:
1. Click Promote under your post;
2. Click Create Promotion and configure the following settings:
- Destination. Your profile — people will see your post with “Visit Instagram Profile” CTA; your website (there you need to add URL and relevant call to action), your Direct Messages (people will see your post with “Send Message” call;
- Audience. There Instagram offers either automatic targeting or manual. For beginners, the automatic variant is advised. For those who have already done research on Instagram TA, it’s possible to point out locations (regional and local), age, and gender.
- Budget. You choose how much you are going to pay daily and for what period of time (from 1 day to 30). Immediately, Instagram shows the approximate reach you can expect.
3. See the preview and add a payment method (Credit or Debit Card, or PayPal);
4. Click Create Promotion.
Setting up such a promo is simple and takes about 2-3 minutes to finish.
Pay attention, Instagram reviews all the ad campaigns for at least 24 hours.
As for the formats of ad posts, it can be a single photo, a video, and a carousel. Choose the one that suits you more as a concept and promote Instagram post.
1.2. Ads in Stories
Ads in Stories are created in a similar way as standard Instagram ads.
- Create a story;
- Click More button at the bottom and choose Promote;
- You will be suggested to adjust all the same settings with one modification — there you can choose Special Requirements if you are to run Credit, Employment, Housing promotions (credit cards and loans, jobs and certification, real estate, and insurance relatively.)
Requirements for Ads in Stories:
- Max size: 4 GB for video format and 30 MB for a photo;
- Resolution: 1080×1920;
- Max length: 120 sec.
2. Influencer Advertising
As the people’s trust in traditional advertising is gradually declining and more and more people are ready to listen only to the recommendations of friends and acquaintances, Influencer Marketing became the first aid, and now, it’s on its peak.
Adding promotion through bloggers and influencers to your marketing plan is definitely a good idea. It will help you increase brand awareness, build a meaningful follower base.
- Over 67% of marketers consider promotion through influencers to be a good way to increase audience reach;
- Brands using influencer marketing earned an average $6.85 for every $1 spent on influencer ads;
- 70% of millennials listen to the opinions of friends and acquaintances when shopping;
- 30% of users trust and buy products recommended by a non-celebrity blogger.
2.1. Who needs such advertising?
Users respect influencers’ opinions, especially if they position themselves as experts in this topic. Therefore, advertising through influence is suitable for anyone who can find a blogger who has a strong connection with the target audience of the brand.
This works for those business areas where ‘the visual’ is vital. For example, collaboration with beauty bloggers is notable for its high performance. But in general, b2c goods and services, online stores, fashion brands, hand-made masters, private masters, bars, and restaurants are successfully promoted.
Blog advertising is relevant for both aspiring entrepreneurs and well-known brands. Large brands use influence marketing to maintain or increase brand awareness and sales. Collaboration with blogs is also in demand for the promotion of a new product.
Advertising with bloggers is also suitable for promoting a personal blog. It’s important to choose an influencer whose target audience overlaps with yours. For example, if you dedicated your blog to healthy eating, you can buy an ad from a fitness trainer or nutritionist.
2.2. What influencers exist and what to choose?
Influencers differ. There are true opinion leaders and those who pretend to be so. There are those who have no influence on their followers and those who are actively listened to. The target audience is different for everyone. The level of preparedness of the profile for advertising and, of course, the pricing policy also differs.
There are several types of bloggers:
Micro. Such bloggers are those who have at least a thousand followers. Although they do not have a huge audience, they have a close connection and listen to each other’s advice and opinions. In addition, they are often ready to publish quality content for relatively little money.
Macro. These users are generally well known. They have hundreds of thousands or even millions of readers and followers on social networks. Partnership with them allows you to capture the attention of a huge audience.
Celebrity. This category includes macro-influencers, who are not typical bloggers, but musicians, comedians, actors, athletes. Cooperation with them will cost a lot of money, but it is they who make the brand memorable.
There are professional bloggers, and there are amateurs. For professional Instagrammers, blogging is the main job they focus on. These blogs have a clear theme and style. They can be devoted to travel, cooking, life hacks, beauty, and health. Professional bloggers have a clear understanding of how to work with an audience and how to promote brands.
For some, blogging is a hobby with extra income. This category includes blogs that have become known due to interest in the personality of the author. Here you will not find a clear focus on a specific target audience. At the same time, there are pages that are distinguished by good audience engagement.
2.3. How to search for influencers?
You have 3 ways: look for influencers on your own, using special tools and through agencies.
2.3.1. Searching influencers by your own
- You can search for influencers through hashtags and geotags. Track the most popular hashtags related to your products and relevant to your target audience. Among the publications with them, select the most popular, and analyze the statistics of the pages of their authors. It remains only to choose the one whose target audience is most similar to yours.
- If you have a local business, then ordering advertising from a star blogger does not make any sense, because all your customers live in a particular city. In this case, it is recommended to track posts by the nearest locations and select the most active authors. You can choose from the city and ending with the area where your company is located.
- You can find them among your clients. If you already have your own audience, then it will not be superfluous to examine it for the presence of an influential author. Perhaps, among your customers, there is a popular blogger who is ready to recommend your brand on special conditions.
2.3.2. Searching influencers using free Instagram Search
Use a special Instagram search tool with which you can quickly find Instagram users by bio words and additional filters and analyze the audiences’ ER and other metrics vital for decision making.
Open the Search and enter the input data and set the filters if needed. See the example below:
Get the Search result:
Click Analyze near the profile’s info if you like someone and get the analyses of an account. See the example of a good profile in terms of cooperation:
2.3.3 Searching influencers via agencies
Using the services of specialized agencies, you can start collaborating with bloggers whose number of followers exceeds 200 000. Some well-known bloggers sign exclusive contracts with such companies, and you can start working with them this way.
Choosing this method, you can count on professional help. The agency’s team will help create advertising content that will fully match the audience of the blog. Specialists will also help to coordinate all issues and will be useful in cooperation with several bloggers.
But that is the most expensive way.
2.4 How to approach influencers with your offer?
Even if you find a blogger that meets all your criteria, it does not mean that you will be able to order advertising. Bloggers may refuse to cooperate without giving reasons or may not respond to DMs for months.
There is no single mechanism, but there are general recommendations that will help to agree on cooperation:
- Brush up your profile. From your profile, it should immediately be clear who you are, what you do, and what you offer. Otherwise, people won’t waste time on you.
- Follow. Next, you should follow the blogger’s page with a suitable target audience and at least 1-2 weeks to monitor its content, quality, and the number of publications.
- Get in touch. After you make sure that this influencer lives up to all your expectations, contact him or his agent, and discuss all the details.
- Develop content. Pick or create the most interesting content that matches the blogger’s audience.
Good integration is the key to successful cooperation. Try to make sure that the ad does not stand out from the general style of the profile. Ask a blogger to post two posts shortly before the ad and one immediately after it. Such unobtrusive advertising does not cause negative from the audience.
2.5 How much does it cost?
The cost of advertising depends on many individual factors, as well as on the format. It is believed that on Instagram, the most influential person is Selena Gomez with an audience of 176 million followers. The publication of one post at her costs around 600 thousand dollars.
There is no clear answer to how much advertising costs for bloggers. Prices vary. The average price for a post depends on both audience reach and owner’s “appetite”:
- For bloggers with up to 10 000 followers, an ad post can cost you a nominal fee or barter.
- Owners with 10 000-30 000 followers will ask for $10 to $30 per post.
- An ad from a profile with 30 000 to 60 000 will cost from $40 to $60.
- For a blogger from 60 000 to 100 000 followers, the price tag for a post can vary from 60 to 100 dollars per post.
- Owners of profiles with an audience of 100 000-130 000 are asking for $100 – $250 for a shoutout.
- Bloggers with an audience of 300 000+ followers are ready to cooperate, for $250 and more.
The prices above are approximate and do not include the cost of goods that bloggers need to provide separately.
Video content can do more than just attract attention. It allows you to introduce people in detail to the advantages and features of the proposed product, to convince and reveal new facets. All this is associated with high production costs, both for shooting and for showing.
One of the most beloved marketing tricks is advertising on Instagram Stories. It seems the easiest. The content here can be anything from a live broadcast to the publication of a post with a photo. Prices here are also very uneven: often 2-2.5 times lower than for the post.
For example, the popular travel blogger Cristina Galbato, with more than 200 000 followers, takes $2,200 for publishing a post on Stories. That’s a lot.
What determines the price of advertising?
Typically, bloggers do not name prices openly. There are no official statistics or an exact price list. Everything is very individual and depends on many factors.
- The number of followers. The more readers, the greater the reach of the audience and, accordingly, the higher the cost of advertising.
- Blogger’s pricing. On Instagram, you can easily find two almost identical accounts with the same number of followers, but the owner of one will want $200 per post, and the other – $50.
- Audience engagement. To begin with, Instagram has an average audience engagement level of 3.21% compared to 1.5% in other social networks. Naturally, the higher ER on the page, the more expensive the advertisement on it.
- Content. You can order ads in almost any format: photos, live broadcasts, videos, reviews, recommendations, and so on. Some formats will cost more, others cheaper. As a rule, publishing videos and stories is cheaper than a regular post, but each blogger may have his own opinion.
- Production costs. If advertising requires travel, makeup, hair, a product demonstration, then these factors must be included in the total amount.
- Duration of cooperation and number of posts. These factors have a direct impact on value formation.
2.6 How to analyze the results of such promo campaigns?
The main indicator of the effectiveness of advertising is the payback of the post. Successful advertising can be considered so within a week, after which you earn 2 to 3 times more than was spent on the ad.
It is also appropriate to take into account the number of new followers, as they are future potential customers. To calculate the effectiveness of this parameter, divide the amount of money spent by the number of new followers, and compare this indicator with the cost of attracting readers through other sources.
Also, analyze how your engagement rate has increased. The higher this parameter, the more often your publications will appear at the top of your followers’ feed, and the more attention will be focused on the brand.
If you cooperated with 1-2 bloggers but did not get the desired effect, then you should not conclude that the tool does not work. Maybe you just made a mistake with the choice. Work on the mistakes and repeat the experiment.
Can I create an ad in the Instagram Explore section?
Yes, you can create such an ad with an Ad Manager. You need to choose Explore the section of Instagram in the Placement line.
Where can I see the results of my Instagram Ad?
You can monitor the performance of your ads in Ads Manager as well as edit them if needed.
Can I choose only promo pic for Instagram ad? What are other formats of Instagram ads?
Stories, Photo, Video, Carousel, Collection, Explore, IGTV, Instagram Shopping ads.
Can I use the Search tool for free?
Yes, the Influencer search is a free tool for everyone.
Read more about Instagram advertising
How to work with Ads Manager?
How to use Instagram Search for collaborations search?
Bigbangram Experts Opinion
This tool has already helped hundreds of small brands find and collaborate with the micro and macro-influencers around the globe.
Use it for fast search and instant analysis of Instagram profiles.
How to Steal Followers from Competitors?
You have a common TA. All you need is to engage with it. We explain how to mainstream
the process of dealing with your competitors’ follower base.
There are two methods of enticing followers from your competitors: slow one and a fast one. Each of them is worth considering.
1. Method #1 — Manual, effective but slow
The scheme is the following: find and engage.
Find your competitors on Instagram. You should know at least a couple of them in real life. Use the Instagram Search to find niche leaders or find them by hashtags and locations (See Question #1).
Like, comment and follow the followers of your competitor. Start engaging with the followers to the maximum. Usually, single follow brings around 15% possibility of following back, follow together with like — 23% of follow back, if to add comment or DM — 35%.
You can automate your targeting, likes, and follows with Instagram Automation Service.
It is an easy scheme, but quite time-consuming if to be honest. To make the process faster, head to method #2.
2. Method #2 — partially automated, effective and fast — Using Hot Clients
Hot clients by Bigbangram is special development created to help brands find their TA by hashtags and locations and contact them right from the Dashboard.
- Open the Hot Client Tab and go to the Settings section;
- Enter hashtags of your niche, both frequently used and rare;
- Enter the locations of your competitors and places nearby you if you run an offline business.
4. Write templates for engaging with users — for comments and messages. Make them appealing;
5. You can set additional filters for more narrow targeting if needed:
6. Go to Feed section and see all the posts that meet your settings;
7. Click Like, Comment, and Send DM, choose already prepared templates or create unique ones and send.
8. Click on a profile to follow a person if you would like to.
This way, you will organize the constant flow of new followers.
3. Why should you do it regularly?
Engaging with followers of your competitors is the right strategy for any business. You get not only new followers and a number of immediate sales, but you also increase brand awareness, which affects your long-term presence on Instagram.
Doing it on a regular basis will bring you a stable stream of new potential customers.
How to work with competitors’ followers using automation service?
You should configure the targeting by Usernames.
Enter the usernames of your competitors, and the service will interact with their followers. Simple!
Read more about attracting competitors’ audiences
Bigbangram Experts Opinion
These tools will help find accounts faster and start interacting with the potential audience more effectively.
Instagram Analysis: Why is it vital for IG promotions, and how to conduct it?
[Analyzing own and competitors’ accounts, publication time and its periodicity]
An analysis is an integral part of our
life. We analyze everything from products for our breakfast to business strategy for the next year.
Let’s see how Instagram analysis helps you grow.
1. Instagram Insights for promo campaigns
Every Creator or Business profile has access to Insights — Instagram statistics of your Content, Activity, and Audience for the last week.
Content — a ranking of publications by reach and engagement. The content with the most impressions is at the top. You can sort effective entries by actions: calls, comments, email messages, saves, follows, reposts, etc. You can see the statistics for a single post as well.
Activity — the number of actions that users took after viewing publications. Here are displayed: visits to the profile per week, the number of new followers per week, the number of clicks to the site, or via the link in the description.
Audience — where the user saw your profile, where he came from, how many users did not follow your profile after the first “meeting”. This is the best way to determine not only how attractive your content is, but also how your strategies to increase reach work.
Open the Menu on your homepage and tap Insights to access the statistics collected by Instagram:
Note: to get the Insights for a separate post, click View Insights under the post.
Instagram Insights is an extremely valuable tool for any person who is concerned with quality promotion. But it shows the analysis and stats only for your own account.
To analyze the profiles of competitors and niche leaders, business owners can use Instagram Analyzer.
2. Instagram Analysis Tool
With this free tool, you can analyze any Instagram account. It shows the number of followers and posts, the engagement rate and users’ activity, number of posts and their engagement score by weekdays, most popular post time, top hashtags and words from captions as well as selections of top of most liked and commented posts.
Open the tool and enter the username of a person whose account you want to analyze
Get the result in a couple of seconds:
This way, you can analyze what hashtags use other users in your sphere, when they post more actively, what type of posts gets more likes and comments.
You can take advantage of this data to modify and improve your content strategy.
What metric to pay special attention to?
One of the most important metrics on Instagram is Engagement. Work on it; try to increase the ER of your audience. Thus, you will be promoted faster, and your community will be more loyal.
How to find the most suitable posting time?
First, get to know your audience better and find out when it is active on Instagram.
Second, analyze the profile of your nearest competitor or niche leader with Instagram Analyzer and see at what time the person posts.
Read more about Instagram analysis
10 Best Instagram Analytics Tools
Bigbangram Experts Opinion
To get fast analysis of engagement, publication time, and content, use free Instagram Profile Analyzer. With it, you can improve your promotion strategy so that it deliver good results.